Beiträge von Ian Cornish

No problem, to running behind you had a massive effect of learning for me. Suddenly I was 1-2 seconds faster than before.

Now not that I claim to be a great road racer, but one thing I noticed while following you for a while was that you massively overdrove the corner entries through the infield section. In the case where you have one corner following another, you often have to compromise the exit of the first so that you can position your car optimally for the entry to the next. This is especially important when the second corner leads on to a straight as you want to maximise your speed down it. By compromise, I mean to only exit to say the middle of the track, rather the exit curb. So by overdriving the entry to the first corner you lose all your speed and momentum through the next. I mention this as it has always been something that I have struggled with and it took a long time for me to get my head around it. It was only through watching others and reading the book 'Going Faster' that it started to make sense.

Well that went better than expected. I put some offline practice in, following my woeful Watkins Glen performance, and it seemed to have paid off. Nevertheless, I state hate driving these things on road. It feels like trying to cut wood with a butter knife i.e. completely the wrong tool for the job.

Yves Sorry for getting in your way. I was trying to serve a slowdown and was running out of time to do so. Thanks for being so gracious in letting me past.

Smokey That was a fun battle at the end. By that time I just wanted to finish without incident so I didn't really have the balls to fight too hard.

Congratulations SepZone a very impressive performance!

It's all a matter of practice I guess. I started sim racing on road back in 2005 and was pretty decent at it. Then I went to ovals and while I got better there, I gradually became a worse and worse road racer : #By now, I am doing more dirt than asphalt races and while I am getting better at dirt, I feel like my asphalt skills are regressing a bit.

Yes you are right. It really is a case of the more you do something the better you get. It is always my intention to do more road racing, but I just don't have time in amongst work and family life. Therefore I tend to stick to what I'm (reasonably) good at. I guess I'd rather be decent at one thing than average at lots.

@Ian: That was the proof that you are mortal. Or alternatively your wife has driven. :# ;)

She probably would have done a better job! I don't do much road at all, despite it being the reason that I signed up to iRacing in the first place. I have to practice a lot to find decent pace. Plus it was my 40th birthday party on Saturday night and I had a stonking hangover, so my one intention was to finish the race without incident.

A great race to start the season. I choked qualifying a bit, slid way too much out of turn 4 which left me in 7th. It looked pretty intense at the front, so I was content to bide my time. Managed to get to 2nd by the second run and gave it everything to try and get past Nigel. But even with a lap fresher tyres, he positioned his car so well that I just couldn't get a strong enough run. Eventually my efforts ruined my tyres and I had to settle for second.

Really pleased with the team performance, 1st through 4th!

Well done Nigel!

Sorry to Roland for the dive. I'd been taking a shallow entry and driving it in fairly hard. I didn't intend to through it in there, it just sort of happened. :rotwerd:

I'm glad I did that race. I haven't turned a lap since the end of last season and was really struggling for motivation. But it felt great to be back behind the wheel!

I haven't driven Nashville before, but I like the track. Feels quite similar to Dover to me. Definitely learnt a lot tonight.

I was surprised by the pole position. It was a very good lap, but I expected some guys to be faster.

Good first run. I decided to follow [user = '1815'] Ian Cornish [/ user] as he was saving the tires (I hope).

[user = '1967'] nielhekkens [/ user] That was a mistake :clown: My tires were 13Rf 18RR after the first run! I'm not sure what has gone wrong but I'm just not able to keep the tires on this car anymore. Got some work to do in the off season for sure!

Congrats Jeroen on the win and Arron on the Championship! Unlucky Carsten, I thought you drove an outstanding season!

We were debating before qually if first or second lap would be quicker, turns out it was second lap :clown:

The first stint was awesome! Some really good close and hard racing with Sven, Maik and Carsten! I got lucky in that I was able to squeeze in an extra lap before the first pitstop. The truck was spluttering entering pit lane, but it managed to maintain the speed limit just about, so I didn't loose too much time there. The slightly fresher tires allowed me to catch and pass Carsten and Maik. If I'd pitted on the same lap then I'm sure there would have been a different winner. I think it's stupid how a lap fresher tires has such a big advantage. It doesn't seem to be that way IRL.

Daniel A. I thought we might be 3 wide, but I'm pretty sure that Roland would not have got the call as we were so staggered. Sorry it worked out the way it did, the netcode was unfortunate.

I used to really dislike Kansas. I remember running it in NIS a few years back. Nobody could pass so people got impatient and it ended up being a complete mess, probably the worst race I have participated in. The recent changes to the track parameters have actually made it enjoyable. The bottom is a viable option and you can make passes!

Had a good battle with Arron in the first stint. Ended up having to run the high line to prevent him from passing.

Got screwed over by the caution which put me back to 11th. Managed to back back near the front and then had an epic battle at the end with Carsten for the win. All in all a very fun race!

You and Carsten are really mysterious to me. You are both pretty mediocre qualifiers, but damn fast in the race. Must have been countless times where I qualified way ahead of you only to then have you catch me at some point in the race and just drive away from me after you made the pass.

I am not an outstanding qualifier either, but when I ran an A fixed race on the service, I found it pretty easy to run qualifying full throttle. Run the first lap high to gain as much speed as possible, then run the second lap low and be smooth on your inputs to scrub off as little speed as possible.

I think that if you can maintain good discipline then starting further back can sometimes be an advantage. You will be running a slower pace than the leaders as you gradually move your way towards the front. My theory is that this helps to save your tyres, especially on tracks where you are hugging the bottom when passing.

This said, I prefer to start upfront now that we have dirty air. Sitting close behind someone ends up killing the right front and then they sail away into the distance mid way through the run. The only time I've seen it different was the trucks at Atlanta (I think), where the set was so loose that it was beneficial to sit behind someone and wear the right front to help balance things out.

In Sunday's race as soon as I saw Maik running the top I knew that if I kept to the bottom and avoided sliding the tyres at all then I would eventually catch him and get the chance to pass. After 12 laps I got alongside and was able to gain the position as he had warn his right rear enough that he was struggling for traction off the corner.